课62:更多成语-人们

Lesson 62: More Idioms - People

有很多成语指的是人。 实际上,我们说的是“只要您的手臂就有清单”。 意思是“很长的清单”。这本身就是一个成语!

There are very many idioms referring to people. In fact, we say that "There's a list as long as your arm." meaning “A very long list.” This is itself an idiom!

“很多”有惯用的成语-您可以说“有很多”意思是“很多”。

There is ruder idiom for "very many" - you can say that "There's a shitload of" meaning “There are very many of.”

以下是成语,按身体部位的字母顺序排列:

Here are the idioms, in alphabetical order of body part:

A

To chance your arm = To take a chance in order to get something that you want. 碰碰运气=碰碰运气以获得想要的东西。

To cost an arm and a leg = Extremely expensive. 花费一条胳膊和一条腿=极其昂贵。

To give your right arm = To want something very much. 伸出右臂=非常想要一些东西。

A shot in the arm = Something with a sudden, positive effect on something. 手臂中的一击=对某物具有突然积极影响的事物。

To strong-arm = To use force and threats to make people do what you demand. 强壮的手臂=用武力和威胁让人们按照自己的要求去做。

To twist someone's arm = To persuade someone to do something they do not want to do. 扭曲某人的手臂=说服某人做他们不想做的事情。

B

Back to back = To be close together and facing in opposite directions. 背对背=靠在一起并朝相反的方向。

Back passage = A polite phrase for rectum. 背部通行=直肠礼貌的短语。

Behind someone's back = To do something without them knowing, in a way which is unfair. 在某人的背后-以一种不公平的方式做某事而不让他们知道。

To break your back = To work extremely hard. 挣扎=努力工作。

To have your back to the wall = To be in a difficult or desperate situation. 使自己陷入困境:处于困境或绝望的境地。

To have a beer belly = To accumulate visceral fat resulting in an increase in waist size. 拥有啤酒肚=积累内脏脂肪,导致腰围增大。

A bone of contention = Something that people argue about over a long period of time. 争论的焦点=人们长期争论的话题。

Bottom out = To reach the lowest point in a changing situation, so that things should get better. 自下而上=在变化的情况下达到最低点,以便使事情变得更好。

Brain drain = The movement of people with education and skills from their own country to another country where they are paid more for their work. 人才流失=受过教育和技能的人从自己的国家到另一个国家的工作收入。

To brain someone = To hit someone on the head. 头脑某人=击中某人的头部。

To be all brawn and no brain = To be physically strong but not very intelligent. 全力以赴,无脑=身体强壮,但不是很聪明。

To beat your brains out = To spend a lot of time worrying about a problem and thinking about how to deal with it. 打动大脑=花很多时间担心问题并思考如何处理。

Brainy = Clever. 聪明=聪明。

To beat your breast/chest = To show grief or guilt in an obvious or public way. 殴打您的胸部/胸部=以明显或公开的方式表现出悲伤或内。

To get off someone's back = To tell someone to stop criticizing. 下车某人的后背=告诉某人停止批评。

To get someone's back up = To really annoy someone. 得到某人的支持=使某人真正烦恼。

To go belly up = To be ruined or defeated, especially financially. 站起来=被破坏或击败,尤其是在经济上。

Over my dead body = To be very unwilling to allow something. 在我的尸体上=非常不愿意允许某些事情。

The shirt off someone's back = The last thing that someone has left. 某人背上的衬衫=某人剩下的最后一件东西。

To scratch someone's back = To offer to help someone if they help you. 挠挠某人的后背=如果某人帮助您,则愿意提供帮助。

To stab someone in the back = To say or do nasty things about someone when they are absent. 向后刺伤某人=在某人不在时对某人说或做讨厌的事情。

To show a bit of backbone = To show determination. 显示一些骨干=显示决心。

As smooth as a baby's bottom = Very smooth. 像婴儿的底部一样光滑=非常光滑。

Scatterbrain / Scatterbrained = A flighty and disorganized person. 马大哈 =轻浮而杂乱无章的人。

To put your back into something =To work very hard at something. 退缩到某物上=为某物努力工作。

To pick someone's brains =To ask for information, someone who knows more than you do. 挑人的大脑=要寻求信息,是一个比您了解更多的人。

To turn your back on something/someone = To stop being involved. 拒绝某事/某人=停止参与。

C

Calf length = Clothing or boots that end at the middle point between the foot and the knee. 小腿长度=在脚和膝盖之间的中点处结束的衣服或靴子。

Cheek by jowl = very close together. 面颊=靠得很近。

Chin up (or, "keep your chin up") = Try to be optimistic. 下巴挺直(或“保持下巴挺直”)=保持乐观。

To get something off your chest = To tell someone about something that has been worrying you, perhaps for a long time. 从胸口拿东西=告诉某人可能让您担心很久的东西。

To take it on the chin = To be brave and not complain when bad things happen to you. 忍受下巴=勇敢,当坏事发生时不要抱怨。

To put hairs on your chest = To drink something that is alcoholic. 将头发放在胸口=喝一些含酒精的饮料。

E

To box someone's ears = To hit someone on the ear, usually as a punishment. 打个人的耳朵=打个人的耳朵,通常是一种惩罚。

To be all ears = To be waiting eagerly to hear about something. 成为所有人的耳朵=渴望等待听到一些事情。

To not believe your ears = To not believe something you hear. 不相信自己的耳朵=不相信自己听到的东西。

Out on your ear = Forced to leave a place, either because you have done something wrong, or because your work is not good enough. 耳朵掉了=由于您做错了某件事情或您的工作不够好而被迫离开某个地方。

To go in one ear and out the other = To not pay attention to what is being said. 一只耳朵进来,另一只耳朵进去=不注意所说的话。

Elbow grease = Hard work, especially when you are cleaning something. 肘部油脂=辛勤工作,尤其是在清洁物品时。

Elbow room = Enough space to move around in. The freedom to do what you want to do. 肘部空间=足够的空间可移动。做您想做的事的自由。

To give someone the elbow = To end a relationship with someone. 弯腰=结束与某人的关系。

The naked eye = If something can be seen with the naked eye, it can be seen without the help of a microscope or magnifying glass. 肉眼=如果可以用肉眼看到某些东西,则无需借助显微镜或放大镜即可看到它。

Eye-catching = particularly attractive or noticeable. 引人注目=特别有吸引力或引人注目。

In the blink of an eye = Extremely quickly. 眨眼间=非常快。

Keep an eye on something / someone = To watch or look after something or someone. 注意某物/某人=观看或照顾某物或某人。

Keep an eye out for something / someone = To watch carefully for someone or something to appear. 留心某物/某人=仔细观察某人或某物的出现。

Run your eye over = To look quickly at the whole of something. 将视线移到=快速查看全部内容。

See eye to eye = To share the same opinion. 见面= =同意相同的观点。

Turn a blind eye = To ignore something that will be inconvenient if you notice it. 视而不见=忽略一些您会发现不便之处。

To have eyes in the back of your head = People who always seem to know what's happening without looking. 目光投向后脑=似乎总是不看就知道发生了什么的人。

Keep your eyes peeled =To watch very carefully. 睁大眼睛=要非常小心地观看。

To raise eyebrows = To shock people. 扬起眉毛=使人震惊。

F

To stuff your face = To eat a lot, very quickly and greedily. 塞满你的脸=快速,贪婪地吃很多东西。

To face up to something = To accept something, even if it is unpleasant. 正视某件事=接受某件事,即使这是不愉快的。

To have itchy feet = To be restless, with a strong desire to travel. 脚发痒=坐立不安,有强烈的旅行欲望。

To drag your feet = To be deliberately slow, usually because you don't want to do something. 拖延脚=故意放慢脚步,通常是因为您不想做某事。

To get cold feet = To suddenly become too frightened to do something you had planned. 变得冷漠=突然变得太害怕而无法完成您计划的事情。

To put your feet up = To relax. 站起来=放松。

To keep your feet on the ground = To have a realistic understanding of your own ideas, actions, and decisions. 站稳脚跟=切实了解自己的想法,行动和决定。

To have a finger in every pie = To be involved in lots of different things. 在每个派上都有指头=要参与很多不同的事情。

To keep your fingers crossed = To cross your middle finger over your first finger to hope for luck or success. 保持双手交叉=将中指越过第一根手指,祝运气或成功。

To not lift a finger = To be unwilling to help. 不伸出手指=不愿意提供帮助。

To point the finger = To accuse someone of being responsible for some bad event. 指责=指责某人对某些不良事件负责。

To pull your finger out = To start working harder. 伸出手指=开始更加努力。

To put your finger on something = To work out why a situation is the way it is. 用手指去指事物=弄清情况为何如此。

To be all fingers and thumbs = To be clumsy, worrying about dropping or damaging things. 所有人的手指和拇指=笨拙,担心掉落或损坏东西。

To put your best foot forward = To do your best. 尽力而为=尽力而为。

To put your foot in it = To accidentally say or do something which embarrasses or upsets someone. 站稳脚步=偶然说出或做些使人难堪或困扰的事情。

H

To get your head around = to concentrate to understand something. 让您的头脑转转=专心去理解一些东西。

To get in somebody's hair = To annoy them. 弄乱别人的头发=惹恼他们。

The hair of the dog = An alcoholic drink taken to "cure" a hangover. 狗的头发=用来“治愈”宿醉的酒精饮料。

To pull your hair out = To be worried or frustrated about something. 拔头发=对某事感到担心或沮丧。

First-hand = Something that you experience yourself. Example: "first-hand knowledge". 第一手资料=您所经历的事情。 示例:“第一手知识”。

Hand over fist = To do something at a very fast rate. 移交拳头=以极快的速度做某事。

To be a dab hand = To be very good at something. 成为轻拍手=擅长某事。

To be an old hand = To be very experienced in something. 成为老手=对某事非常有经验。

To have a free hand = To have the power to do what you want to. 拥有自由的手=有力量做自己想做的事。

To have a hand in something = To be involved with something. 参与某件事=参与某件事。

To have the upper hand = To have power and control over someone or some situation. 占上风=对某人或某些情况具有控制权。

To be hand in glove = To have an extremely close relationship, especially at work. 戴上手套=保持密切的关系,尤其是在工作中。

Many hands make light work = When many people help to do something, it gets done more quickly. 许多双手使工作变得轻松=当许多人帮助做某事时,它很快就会完成。

On your own head be it. = If you ignore sensible advice, the results will be your problem. 靠你自己吧。 =如果您忽略明智的建议,那么结果将是您的问题。

To have a head for heights = To not be worried about being high up. 昂首阔步=不要担心高高。

To be a bighead / to be bigheaded = To think you are very clever or intelligent. 成为一个大人物/大胆=认为自己非常聪明或聪明。

Eat your heart out (person) = I am even better than (person). 尽全力(人)=我比(人)更好。

Have a heart! = Please don't be heartless. 放心! =请不要无情。

Heartbroken = Very sad or disappointed. 伤心欲绝=非常难过或失望。

Heartwarming = Causing a feeling of happiness or pleasure. 感人=引起幸福或快乐的感觉。

Warmhearted = Kind and generous. 热情=慷慨大方。

Warms the cockles of your heart = A kind act that makes you feel happy. 温暖你的内心的斗鸡=一种使你感到快乐的举动。

A heel = Someone who treats other people badly. 脚跟=对待别人不好的人。

Achilles heel = A weakness in a person or system that can result in failure. 阿喀琉斯之脚跟 =人或系统的弱点可能导致失败。

Down at heel = Appearing to be shabby, run-down. 脚跟放低=显得破旧,破烂。

To be under the heel of = To be under absolute control of someone or something. 处于=的脚后跟,处于某人或某物的绝对控制之下。

K

To have a knees up = To have a party. 屈膝=参加聚会。

To rap someone's knuckles = To give a light punishment, as a warning. 强奸某人的指节=作为警告,轻判。

A knuckle sandwich = A punch. 指关节三明治=拳。

A white knuckle ride = A scary experience, such as a roller-coaster. 白色的指关节骑行=可怕的经历,如过山车。

L

Break a leg! = I wish you good luck. 断腿! 我祝你好运。

To give someone a leg up = To help someone onto something (such as horse) or to help them with some problem. 让某人站起来=帮助某人踩到某物(例如马)或帮助他们解决一些问题。

To pull someone's leg = To tell someone a lie, as a joke. 拉某人的腿=开个玩笑,撒谎。

To stretch your legs = To move around after having been stationary for some time. 伸展双腿=静止一段时间后四处走动。

Many a slip twixt cup and lip = Many things can go wrong before something is finalised. 许多滑倒的杯子和嘴唇=许多事情可能在最终确定之前就出了问题。

M

To cross your mind = To think about something. 跨越思维=思考某件事。

To have a big mouth = to talk too much, especially about personal or private things. 大张嘴=谈论太多,尤其是关于个人或私人事物。

To be down in the mouth = To feel sad. 垂下嘴=感到难过。

Word of mouth = Information passed on by speaking. 口口相传=通过讲话传递的信息。

N

To breathe down someone's neck = To very closely watch someone working. 呼吸某人的脖子=密切观察某人的工作情况。

To get it in the neck = To be punished for some act. 使它落在脖子上=因某些行为受到惩罚。

To stick your neck out = To take a risk. 伸出脖子=冒险。

To be up to your neck in = To have too much of something, especially work. 竭尽全力=有太多东西,尤其是工作。

A bundle of nerves = Very nervous. 一束神经=非常紧张。

To have a lot of nerve = To be arrogant. 有很多神经=要自大。

To get on someone's nerves = To annoy someone. 惹恼某人=惹恼某人。

To win by a nose = To win by a very small amount. 以鼻子取胜=以极少量获胜。

To cut off your nose to spite your face = To do something because you are angry, even if it harms you. 割鼻去咬脸=做某事是因为你生气,即使这伤害了你。

To keep your nose to the grindstone = To work hard. 让您的鼻子贴在磨刀石上=努力工作。

It's no skin off my nose = I don't care if this happens or not. 我的鼻子上没有皮肤=我不在乎这是否发生。

To powder your nose = to go to the toilet ("powder-room"). 鼻子鼻涕=上厕所(“粉房”)。

To get up somebody's nose = To annoy someone. 起床某人的鼻子=惹恼某人。

To turn your nose up at something = To not like something because you think it is not good enough for you. 对某事不屑一顾=不喜欢某事,因为您认为这对您来说不够好。

S

To be head and shoulders above = To be better than everyone else. 超越他人=超越他人。

A shoulder to cry on = Someone who gives you sympathy. 要哭泣的肩膀=给予您同情的人。

Skeleton in the closet = a shocking secret. 壁橱里的骨架=一个令人震惊的秘密。

To have a thick skin / To be thick skinned = To not become upset by criticism. 拥有浓密的皮肤/拥有厚皮的皮肤=不要被批评所困扰。

To have a thin skin / To be thin skinned = The opposite of thick-skinned. 拥有薄皮/拥有薄皮=拥有厚皮的相反。

T

Tongue in cheek = Saying something that seems to be serious, but is a joke. 面颊上的舌头=说些看似严肃的话,不过是个玩笑。

By the skin of your teeth = To just manage to do something. 依靠牙齿的皮肤=设法做某事。

To get your teeth into something = To get completely involved with it. 使您的牙齿陷入困境=完全参与其中。

A kick in the teeth = a great disappointment. 牙齿一跳=非常失望。

To jump down someone's throat = To react angrily to something that someone says or does. 跳下某人的喉咙=对某人说或做的事情做出愤怒的反应。

To ram something down someone's throat = To try to force someone to accept an idea. 压低某人的喉咙=试图强迫某人接受一个想法。

To have a frog in your throat = to be unable to speak clearly because of a "croaky" throat.

To have a green thumb = To be good at gardening. 拥有绿色拇指=擅长园艺。

To twiddle your thumbs = To do nothing while waiting for someone or something. 转动拇指=在等待某人或某物时不执行任何操作。

To stay on your toes = To stay alert. 保持脚趾=保持警觉。

To bite your tongue = To stop yourself saying something that might be hurtful or stupid. 咬你的舌头=阻止自己说出可能有害或愚蠢的话。

Cat got your tongue? = Why aren't you speaking? 无言以对? =你为什么不说话?

On the tip of your tongue = You know something, but can't remember it right now. 尽在舌头上=您知道一些东西,但是现在不记得了。

Tongue tied = Can't put your thoughts into words. 被绑住的舌头=无法将您的想法表达出来。

Long in the tooth = Too old for something. 牙齿长=太旧了。

<< 上一个 Back

Index 指数

Next 下一步>>